For about 6 months after Viaan was born, he suffered from considerably severe Eczema flare-ups. It was extremely painful to see him scratch his tiny face to get some relief.
We did visit the pediatrician a couple of times to know the exact reason of these flare-ups, and I was always told that some babies just get Eczema in their early years probably due to allergens or due to the mother’s hormones still in their bodies. The condition can be made better by using creams ( steroids in the worst case) but unfortunately, there is no one treatment! I did not want to use steroid creams on him since the doctor himself mentioned that it might leave white spots on the areas that it has been applied on.
After trying quite a few things here is what I believe worked for us:
- Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Nighttime Balm with Natural Oatmeal:
This balm is Steroid, fragrance and Paraben free and works REALLY well to reduce Eczema. I applied a thick layer of this cream on Viaan’s face every few hours and the eczema spot would get much better within a few days! I would highly recommend trying this product before going for a steroid treatment.
Remember Eczema doesn’t get better right away and might come back again and again, so be a little patient with the treatment.
2. All Natural Ayurvedic Mixture: I was still trying to find something more natural for treating his Eczema and a friend of mine told me about this coconut oil based mixture which I thought of giving a try because it didn’t seem to have anything that would harm his skin. Being an Indian, I have always heard of the benefits of products such as Turmeric, coconut oil etc. and have used them for skin conditions and wounds. I really loved it!
For anyone who is interested in giving it a try , this is how you make it :
- Virgin coconut oil
- Turmeric ( Gopuram haldi) -I asked my parents to get it from India, but you can find it at an Indian grocery store or Online too.
- Black Cumin ( Kaali Jeeri) – Another Indian spice available at Indian grocery stores
- Grind the Black cumin to a powder
- Boil the coconut oil in a pan ( 4 tbsp)
- Add 2 tablespoons of Turmeric powder and the black cumin powder each to the hot coconut oil and stir.
- Let it cool and apply when needed. The mixture will be almost black in color.
- IMPORTANT: The turmeric in the mixture can leave yellow spots on the baby’s clothes and hence I usually used it at night so it didn’t matter if his night clothes were all yellow !
Please note that although this is an all natural home remedy, I recommend using it on a small part of the skin for a week to check for any reactions or allergy from any of the added product. I am sharing because this is something that really worked for us and it will be great if it can help other parents out there!!!
Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!! Hope you find this helpful ♥